Thursday, October 7, 2010

Potato with Herring

It's been a long time since I wrote here. Honestly, I've been cooking dishes of other nations. And the reason of that is the oven in the new apartment that doesn't work at all. Russian cuisine is mostly about cooking in the oven, so I don't have so much freedom of doing pirozhki, kulebyaka and others. I hope, in the near future this problem will be solved successfully.))

I found one picture in my archives that I think you will like.

It's a boiled potato with butter, and herring in the vinegar with onion. All is dilled.))

6 comments:

  1. Hi Milena,

    Potatoes and herring look scrumptious (very tasty)!

    American Russia Observations just posted 12 Recommended Russian Cooking Blogs. Of course, I included Russian Chef! Please stop by and take a look.

    I hope you start posting more often.

    All the best,

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I just found your blog a few weeks ago and have been really enjoying it. My wife is from Russia and so I am always trying to cook Russian food to impress her (and failing half the time) Your blog should help me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your work of art. It is so delightful to look at them !

    ReplyDelete
  4. A potentially great combination here. Buttered potatoes often marry well with any sort of flavorful meat, say, a steak or a glazed ham, so I can see how this will work for a strong-flavored fish such as herring. With dill adding some freshness to it all, this will definitely be something.

    Diane Griffin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fish. This herring with buttered potatoes recipe sounds yummy. As for the dill, I am not such a big fan of it so I'll probably take it easy on the dill. Overall, I think this recipe would be perfect as a light lunch on a warm summer day. I'd probably wrap up such a meal with a plate of fresh fruits and a glass of cool tea. :)

    ReplyDelete